The History of Palmer & Shaylor Funeral Home
The partnership of Palmer & Shaylor, funeral directors in Middleburgh, was formed in July of 1948 by John E. Palmer and L. Burnett Shaylor. Mr. Palmer, a native of Richmondville, NY, came to Middleburgh in February of 1939, and opened the Palmer Funeral Home on Upper Main Street. His business continued for many years until the partnership was formed. Mr. Shaylor , a native of Jefferson, NY, came to Middleburgh in 1920. In that year, his father Charles D. Shaylor, became manager of Farquher Funeral Home on Lower Main Street. In 1939, the elder Mr. Shaylor and Galen White established Shaylor & White Funeral Home at the same location and in 1948, L. Burnett Shaylor purchased the firm of Shaylor & White. Mr. John Palmer and Mr. L. Burnett Shaylor then formed their partnership and Palmer Funeral Home was discontinued. The business incorporated in January of 1961 and the name was changed to Palmer & Shaylor, Inc..
Up until 1955, the Palmer & Shaylor Funeral Home continued to operate at the Lower Main Street location. The building had originally served as a furniture store and undertaking establishment under different management since the late 1800’s. J.P. Segner first operated his business there, then Farquher Brothers, who also owned parlors in Schoharie and Cobleskill, then Shaylor & White’s and finally Palmer & Shaylor. The partnership purchased the Albro residence located on River Street, refurbished, updated and re-opened the new establishment to the public. They also included the sale and installation of monuments and provided ambulance service to Middleburgh residents and the surrounding communities.
Following Mr. Shaylor’s retirement, Mr. Palmer continued to operate the Funeral Home until 1976, and upon his retirement, sold his interest to Mr. Joseph C. Spink of Wellsboro, PA. Mr. Spink found his way to Middleburgh from Wellsboro, PA where he operated the former Kuhl and Spink Funeral Home, and prior to that, was in partners with his two brothers in the Olean, NY area operating 3 Funeral Homes. Mr. Spink’s father, Emmett Spink, was the founder of Spink Funeral Home in Olean, NY, which remains in operation under the Spink family today.
The Palmer and Shaylor, Inc. Funeral Home was owned and operated by Mr. Spink from 1976 until his death in August of 2007. The building on River Street was destroyed by an electrical fire in November of 1977 and was rebuilt. It stands today on the original lot that housed the Albro residence which would ultimately become, Palmer & Shaylor Funeral Home.